I was recently (almost 2 months ago) tagged by Lauren @ Comma Hangover to do this award. I’m really excited to finally get to it! Thanks, Lauren! You should definitely check out her blog–she does so many great tags & reviews!
Here are the rules:
- Thank the person who nominated you and link back to their blog
- List the rules and display the Sunshine Blogger Award logo in your post or blog
- Answer the eleven questions sent by the person who nominated you
- Nominate eleven new blogs to receive the award and write them eleven new questions
1. Is there a character name from your favorite book that you would consider giving to your future child, pet, or another living thing?
Ohhh, I have so many favorite books to choose from!!! I’ll go with A Discovery of Witches. So many good names!!! I’m not sure I’m planning on having future children–so we’ll talk pets. I could definitely name an animal Gallowglass (though I’d need a nickname). If I were to have children, I do also like the names Diana, Matthew, and Rebecca. Ysabeau’s name is beautiful–but I’m not sure I’d use it in that form.
2. If you could pick three books that will be stocked in every library in the world, which books would they be and why?
This is such a great question! First, I would pick A People’s History of the United States by Howard Zinn because it’s important for everyone to recognize the actual history of the US and marginalized people in the US. It was a lifechanging book when I read it, and I really think everyone should. Next, I would pick Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi because it tells the story of colonialism/racism (which applies to lots of places around the world) and is also just a well-written novel. Finally, I’d also include The Giver because it’s the best standalone fantasy/dystopia novel I could think of (and I know there’s technically a whole quartet–but the first book can stand alone).
3. You’re heading to the beach for the day, what’s in your bag?
In my bag, I have a towel, lots of sunscreen, a white t-shirt (because sometimes, for me, sunscreen just doesn’t cut it), water, and probably 2 books–most likely paperbacks–that I could possibly be okay with getting wet. (Also, not much of a beach person.)
4. If you could jump into one book, what would it be and why? Would you attempt to change the plot?
I would jump into A Gathering of Shadows by V. E. Schwab because I would want to see the magical competition–and Lilah and Kell, of course. I’m not sure if I would change the plot, but probably at least on accident, since that always seems to be what happens when people cross universes or time travel and such. I might try to help them once things start to go awry–but I wouldn’t want to purposely change their journeys.
5. What TV series is currently on the top of your “to watch” list?
Right now, I’ve been watching Lucifer, which I pretty much adore. After that, the top one on my list is probably to continue watching Stranger Things (I’ve only seen the first episode). (photos from IMDB)
6. You’re packing for a dream vacation. Where are you going and what is in your bag? (Books? Makeup? Favorite items of clothing?)
My dream vacation would be to Ireland. I want to go so badly because it’s where my grandfather grew up and I’d love to see the places where he lived. In my bag, I would have my Kindle, with several books on it, as well as probably a paperback or 2. I would also have comfy clothes for hiking and walking, leggings because I live in them when not at work, and casual but nice clothes for pub-going & things (probably a lot of sweaters, leggings, jeans, and cute boots).
7. What is your favorite movie, and is there a scene you would recreate from it if given the chance?
I’m not good at favorites, but I really really love An Affair to Remember with Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr. If I could recreate any movie scene in my life, I would want to meet the love of my life atop the Empire State Building (and I don’t want to spoil–but my reunion scene would hopefully be better).
8. Do you like to cook? What is the last recipe you made or looked up?
I like the idea of cooking. In practice, I prefer recipes that are delicious with a minimum of effort, particularly during the school year. One thing that has really made me fall in love with new recipes is my Instant Pot (best purchase ever). It’s a pressure cooker, so I can typically just throw everything in there and then cook it within 30 minutes to an hour. It’s like a crockpot, but faster. I recently made honey garlic chicken in it. It was pretty tasty.
9. You get to time travel back to any event in history. What would it be and why?
This is really hard to think about!! I’m fascinated by so much of history, thought not everything that fascinates me is something I’d want to be present for. I think I would travel to Victorian times. No specific event, really, I’d just love to try and live in that time for awhile. I would want to be feminist-y, but I will admit I really love old-time dresses, so that would be exciting.
10. Do you prefer books with one POV or multiple POVs?
Another hard question! While I don’t have a huge preference for either and enjoy both, I will admit I teensily prefer multiple POVs because then you can see events from multiple perspectives. It helps you to realize who’s reliable and who isn’t in a book, and just provides a more well-rounded experience, when done well.
11. What talent do you have that often goes unappreciated?
Hmmm. I guess not many people know that I do occasionally like to craft things through crochet and counted cross stitch. While I always use patterns, I still like the flexibility of picking colors and things. It’s relaxing–though I have to do it while watching TV or listening to audiobooks, no reading and crocheting/crosttitching at the same time.
My 11 Questions
- How long have you been blogging? What made you want to start?
- Which book have you re-read the most? Why?
- Do you read more backlist or new releases? Any particular reason why?
- What’s your favorite book you’ve read so far this year?
- Do you have any pets? If so, what kinds? If not, what kind of pet would you want to get if you could have any pet?
- What is your favorite part of summer? Why?
- What’s your favorite genre to read? What do you love about it?
- If you could be best friends with any author, who would it be? Why?
- If you could have one more book in any series that’s finished, what series would it be? What would you want to learn or discover in the continuation?
- What do you do in your spare time (besides read)?
- Who would you cast to play your favorite literary character? Why are they a good fit?
So, now the fun part!! I nominate the following bloggers to answer my questions (I didn’t come up with quite 11):
- Laila @ Big Reading Life
- Jackie @ Death by Tsundoku
- Kayla @ KDrewKtheBookworm
- The Bookish Sisters
- Elise @ Roaming Reader
- Mandy @ Book Princess Reviews
- Jolien @ The Fictional Reader
- Emma @ The Terror of Knowing
- Suzanne @ The Bookish Libra
This one was hard to tag for, because I know a lot of people have done this one already and I’ve seen several do it recently. If I tagged you, feel free to do the award post, or not, as you see fit.