Down the TBR Hole is sponsored by Lia @ Lost in a Story. It’s also reminding me of books on my TBR I forgot about.
Here is what you do:
- Go to your goodreads to-read shelf.
- Order on ascending date added.
- Take the first 5 (or 10 if you’re feeling adventurous) books
- Read the synopses of the books
- Decide: keep it or should it go?
I’m very excited to go another round!!
1. White Like Me: Reflections on Race from a Privileged Son by Tim Wise
Tim Wise’s books aren’t really easy reads. Given current events, though, I really find them essential. I’ve read a lot of his essays (still working my way through his book Speaking Treason Fluently–hard to read a lot at one time), but this is a more personal story from the activist and anti-racism educator about his own life and how his white privilege has impacted it. I can’t pass this one up.
2. One Nation, Underprivileged: Why American Poverty Affects Us All by Mark Robert Rank
Also a highly topical book that is still of interest to me. It’s so important to understand how poverty works in America…and how our own biases help shape our responses to it.
3. Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies by Jared Diamond
I’ve actually started this book before. I liked the way it read, but it was super long and hard to keep my interest at the time. I keep hoping some day I’ll return to it (and all of Diamond’s books).
4. Empire Falls by Richard Russo
I‘m not sure about this book. It sounds interesting, but I owned it at one point and I think I ended up selling it to a used bookstore because I didn’t think I’d ever get to it…so…
5. Promises I Can Keep: Why Poor Women Put Motherhood Before Marriage by Kathryn Edin, Maria J. Kefalas
This book is still very interesting to me. Two sociologists interviewed poor single mothers about their ideas on motherhood and marriage. I think reading books like this helps me understand other people more. I will get to it eventually!
I’m writing this late on Thursday evening, and I’m very tired, so I’m only going to do 5 books this week. I only got rid of one book this week…I’m SO bad at this! Have you read any of these books?? Let me know in the comments!