It’s that time again!!! Dewey’s 24 Hour Readathon is here again and I can’t wait! It launches this Saturday at 7 a.m. in my time zone and goes until 7 a.m. on Sunday. The end of the school year craziness means I haven’t been blogging as much, but I couldn’t let this opportunity go by! In this post, I’ll highlight some of my prep steps, my tentative TBR, and my goals for this weekend. (Also, I took the button from their Twitter page).
This is my 3rd time participating in this readathon, so I’m starting to get some rituals, but prep kind of snuck up on me this week with my sister’s wedding being last weekend, so I might not get all of my steps done…
- Snacks: I have visited the grocery store and stocked up on a variety of snacks (and may still get more). So far, I’m rocking banana Moon Pies, vegetable chips, Smart Pop, Halo Top Oatmeal Cookie ice cream, & peanut butter covered pretzels. I’m probably going to pick up some healthier options too, like hummus and veggies. I also tend to forgo alcohol, simple because I’ll get too tired.
- Cleaning: Usually, I like to clean before readathon, so I can focus wholly on reading…but I’m not sure this step will happen this time around. At the very least, I’ll try to tidy up my kitchen and bathroom (the plan is to do it tomorrow night).
- Meal Prep: This week, I’m making a big batch of ground buffalo meat (it was cheaper than ground beef) that I can use to make lettuce wraps, for an omelet, etc. I’ll also probably find at least one more recipe I can pop in the Instant Pot while listening to audiobooks.
- Books!!! I also tend to request a TON of books from the library of all different kinds. I love a mix of novels, graphic novels, and audiobooks so I can switch it up when I start to get sleepy. This time around, I have 10 library books so far, plus a bunch of books I own that I need to finish.
This seems like a good place to discuss my TBR. I don’t have photos at this point, but mostly because everything is scattered around. I will, however, list out available books. I tend to just pick up whatever sounds good in the moment and read it to completion throughout the day. I’m hoping to get caught up on a lot of series!
- Siege & Storm by Leigh Bardugo
- Ruin & Rising by Leigh Bardugo
- A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara
- A Million Suns by Beth Revis
- Shades of Earth by Beth Revis
- Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas
- An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir
- 11/22/63 by Stephen King
- Seraphina by Rachel Hartman
- The Program by Suzanne Young
- Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor
I’m also waiting for some holds to come in, mostly graphic novels, including a few volumes of Fables, Jack of Fables, and Princeless.
Books I Own that I May Read
- This Savage Song by Victoria Schwab
- Listen to Me by Hannah Pittard
- You Will Know Me by Megan Abbott
- The Possessions by Sara Flannery Murphy
- Girls in the Moon by Janet McNally
- Swing Time by Zadie Smith
- One Day We’ll All Be Dead and None of This Will Matter by Scaachi Koul
- Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (I’ve tried so many times!)
- Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston
- The Revisionists by Thomas Mullen
- A Courth of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas
- The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway
- A plethora of Ian McEwan novels
So, will I get to all of these books?! Absolutely NOT. These are just the ones I’m considering. My reading list is always subject to change at any moment!
- HAVE FUN!!!
- Stay up the whole 24 hours (with maybe a short nap or two).
- Participate in MOST challenges (including the Instagram challenge!)
- Limit social media breaks/check-ins to once every hour or two.
- Be flexible! If I can’t finish a book, oh well! If I need an audio break, take it! If I need a walk or a change of scenery, go for it!
If you can’t tell…I’m trying to put less emphasis on achieving a number of hours of reading and just trying to relax and read. I’ve tended to stress on the other 2 readathons I’ve participated in, and that’s no good.
Are you participating in Dewey’s?? What are your goals? What are you reading? What does your prep look like?? If you haven’t signed up yet, visit http://www.24hourreadathon.com/ and go for it! (I think I accidentally signed up twice!)