This weekend and the following week I am set up to participate in 2 read-a-thons. One has specific challenges set out, and one does not, but I’ve been working on getting a TBR crafted that has plenty of variety for the one without specific challenges, and planning which books to hold off on until the 2nd one starts.
Read-a-Thon #1: 24 in 48: July 23 & 24
24 in 48 has a very simple premise. During the 48 hours of the ‘thon, one must read 24 hours. You can break up the 24 hours however you would like, and participate in different challenges. I, for one, am particularly excited that it’s going to have a major tie-in to the app Litsy throughout. This is my first time participating in 24 in 48. The start time is 12:00 a.m EST on the 23rd, which for me means that the official start time is 11 p.m. on the 22nd. I could wait until midnight my time, but I really enjoy the idea of starting out with the sponsor. While I’m unsure of how exactly I’m going to break up my reading time throughout the weekend, I do know the bulk of it will be on Saturday, since I have a visitor coming in town for most of Sunday. The pictures below show some of the many books I’m allowing myself to choose from, and I’m hoping against hope that I’ll finish both of my currently reading books before the Read-a-Thon starts. I’ll be posting updates here, on Litsy (@simplerevelry) and on Twitter (@reviewsandRaTs) and likely building up a slew of reviews for me to write next week. I will also be indulging in many favorite snacks, likely ice cream, some Chex Mix, and lots of tea.
Read-a-Thon #2: Casual Read-a-Thon: July 24-30
This read-a-thon is much longer, but has much more specific challenges than 24 in 48. I’m glad they overlap, though, because it gives me some clear guidance for my reading. Sponsored on Twitter by @lizameggle, and with its very own Twitter page @casualreadathon, it comes with a set of 6 challenges for the week, and seems the perfect way to finish up my summer as teachers in my district report back on August 1.
My TBR for this Read-a-Thon’s challenges is:
- A book with supernatural elements: Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning (I picked this up in a free book exchange and figured it’s worth a shot).
- A book with purple on it: The Sandman: Preludes and Nocturnes by Neil Gaiman (I’m so excited to finally get a start on this series!)
- A book someone picks: Me Before You by JoJo Moyes (a friend has been recommending it for awhile.)
- A book from a series: Whichever part of the Lunar Chronicles I’m up to by next week or book #3 in the Hollow Earth series: The Book of Beasts.
- A book on TBR for a year+: The Road by Cormac McCarthy (recently acquired a free copy and can’t wait to get into it!)
- Read at least 3 books (covered by all the above)
What about you? Are you participating in 24 in 48 or the Casual Read-a-Thon? What books are on your TBR? What snacks are you stocking up on? Leave some answers in the comments!